Before our worldwide adventure begins, Sarah and I will be spending some quality time in Bali with my mother and sister.
It was my job to find the cheapest flights from Melbourne to Denpasar.
Here's a rundown of how I finally purchased the flights...
1. Hours of trawling the internet to find the best flight deals...check.
2. Confirmed dates for trip with wonderful family members...check.
3. Call other airlines to double-check that they cannot beat the best deal...check.
4. Click 'no thanks' to all of the 'extras' available on the flight I have selected...check.
5. Proceed to checkout. Select payment type. Credit card...wait a second...HOW MUCH IS THAT FEE???? YOU'VE GOT TO BE JOKING!!!!!
These thoughts rolledaround my head as I had a second look at my screen. Each flight I had booked was $519 return (bargain!). However, for the luxury of paying via credit card (that did not have an airline logo on it!!!) I was to be slugged a $25 fee............PER TICKET!!!
This is almost a 5% surcharge on top of the ticket price!!
I reluctantly purchased the tickets anyway, as the cost was still lower than other carriers. But I'm still seething over the charge that I was required to pay. So much so that I contacted the ACCC in regards to the transaction (still waiting on a response).
Has anyone else had the same issue? I guess the fee would have been less of an issue if I was buying a really expensive ticket...but I never buy really expensive tickets ;) The whole point is to travel as cheaply as possible.
Does anyone have any ideas of how to avoid these surcharges?
Let me know if you do :) :)
Regardless of the surcharge, we will be relaxing on the beaches of Bali in early August!!! SUPER EXCITED!!!
If anyone has any 'secret spots to visit' or 'amazing things to do super cheaply' in Bali let me know :) :)
Happy travels all,